Russell Hill & Homestead
GPS Coordinates 42.730902 / -71.694149 Location BHT7
The Russell Homestead was settled in 1757 by Samuel Russell when he purchased land from Peter Powers, one of the first settlers in Hollis. Since that time, members of the Russell family have been living there continuously for nine generations. King George III granted settlement of the land, originally consisting of 300 acres.
Over the generations, the Russell Homestead was primarily used for farming, with fruit tree orchards, vegetable gardens, and blueberries cultivated on Russell Hill, as well as lumbering and barrel making. The original cooper shop still stands on Russell Hill Road across from the farmhouse. The granite monument at the top of the Russell Hill has always been a favorite family spot. The slab monument was assembled by earlier generations of Russell men and for many years supported a flagpole held in place at the center by the sturdy boulders. While the tree line has grown over the years, the view from the top of Russell Hill enabled one to look down onto Lake Potanipo (formerly known as Muscatanipus Pond) and over to the foothills of southern New Hampshire and Massachusetts.